Budgets allow you to set and track a spending limit for B2B storefronts. Your budgets can be set up for an entire site; for site users assigned to specific locations, departments, and/or groups; and for specific site users. Budgets are not a payment method. They are a spending limit that applies to all available payment methods. Once Budgets are enabled on a site, by default all site users must select a budget at check out. You may override this requirement by adding users to a Site Group that has the permission "Can checkout without selecting a budget."
Please note: Budgets are only included in Professional and Enterprise subscriptions to Aleyant Pressero™. If you currently have a Standard subscription, please contact us to learn more about upgrading your subscription to take advantage of this feature.
How to Configure Budget Tracking in your Pressero Admin Account
In the Site > Budgets area, click "Add New Budget."
Next, enter information about this budget.
- Code: This code represents the budget and is displayed at checkout to any users who are authorized to use it.
- Description: Enter a general description for the budget, which will also be displayed at checkout to any users who are authorized to use it.
- Type: Make a selection to set which users on the site will be able to use this budget. Choose from:
- Site: All users of this site can use this budget.
- Location: Only users assigned to a specific location can use this budget.
- Department: Only users assigned to a specific department can use this budget.
- Group: Only users who are members of a specific site group can use this budget.
- User: Only a specific user can use this budget.
- Target: If you select Location, Department, Group, or User from the Type menu, the Target menu will appear. Select the specific location, department, group, or user that should be able to use the budget.
- Budget: Enter the total amount that may be spent against this budget. Do not include any currency symbols; the currency assigned through the site's Culture in Site > Settings will automatically be used.
- Recur: Select the frequency at which the budget should automatically recur. Choose from:
- One Time: Use this setting if you do not want the budget to recur automatically. *See Important note about this option below!
- Roll over balance: If you choose to have the budget recur automatically, the Roll Over Balance option will appear. Check this box to have any unused budget amount be applied to the next recurred budget.
- Start Date: Enter the date and time at which this budget should first be available for use.
- End Date: If you choose One Time from the Recur menu (i.e. if this budget will not recur), the End Date option will display. Enter the date and time at which this budget should no longer be available for use.
Click Save when you are finished.
*For One Time Occurring Budgets, please note!
One time budgets do not recur so when you "Save" in the Edit area of a One Time budget, it will automatically update the balance to the amount shown for the budget. If you are editing a One Time budget so that you can add a new transaction, you should save the transaction ONLY and not select "Save" after doing so. If you do select Save for the main budget area, the transaction will be removed and the budget will reset... unless you set a start date in the future. In that case, though the balance in admin would update, the amount available to the customer in the store would still show the old balance until the start date entered in admin.
This sample budget allows members of the Midwest Sales Team department to spend $2000/month against the MWS budget. The balance rolls over automatically to the next month.
You will also need to activate budgets for your site in Site > Settings > General Info. In the Checkout section, check the Enable Budgets box. By default, the prompt that the customer will see at checkout to ask them to select a budget in a site that uses an English culture is "Select Budget to Use". You can override this by entering text in the Budget Prompt box. Click Save when you are finished.
To allow members of a site user group to view budget reports, set the "Ability to view budgets reports" permission to Allowed in Site > Site Groups > [Specific Group]. If you enable this for any of your users, you will also want to add the Budgets item to one or more of your site's navigation menus in Site > Navigation.
You can view and edit budget transactions in Site > Budgets. Use the Start Date and End Date entries at the top of the page to filter the budgets and applicable transactions by date. Click the pencil icon next to a budget to view transactions associated with it. To easily export the budget report in .xls, .pdf, .csv, or .doc format, click the appropriate icon above the list of transactions.
An example of what you will see in the web-to-print budget reporting area.
Pressero also enables you to import a list of budgets from an Excel file. Click the blue Import bar in Site > Budgets to expand the Import area.
Click "Download Excel template" to download the import template. Fill out all the desired information. Make sure that each budget has a unique code (including any deleted budgets). Do not delete the column header row from the template; it is necessary for the import to work successfully.
After completing and saving your import template in Excel, click Select in the Import area and select your import template. If you want the budgets you import to replace all existing budgets, check "Replace existing items." If you want to add budgets without overwriting existing ones, leave this box unchecked. Click "Import now" to import your file. The results of your upload will be displayed in the Import Result area.
Add Budget to Navigation Menu
You have complete control over the items that display in a Navigation Menu in your Site, the order in which the items display, and the name the the items display in the Menu. Site > Navigation
- In the Available Navigation Items folder are items that can be added to any Menu. Subfolders contain more items.
- Select the Budgets item and add it to any Menu by dragging it to the Menu.
- Position item in a Menu by dragging them up or down to the desired position.
- Rename item by double-clicking them.
- Save before leaving the page or changes will be lost.
Budgets in a Pressero B2B Storefront: Your Customers' Experience
If you have enabled budgets in a site, each user will see an "Available Budget(s)" area on the shopping cart page. This will display a list of the user's applicable budget(s) and the current balance(s).
An example of the Available Budget(s) area a user can see on the shopping cart page in their Pressero B2B site.
At checkout, the user can select from the budget(s) available to them. The budget code, description, and available balance are all displayed to help the user choose the correct budget to apply to the order.
An example of what the client would see for budget selection during checkout. Note that the custom budget prompt entered in Site > Settings > General Info appears here ("Select Account" in this example).
If you have enabled the client to view budget reports, they can do so on your B2B site's /budgets page. They can select a budget from the Budget Details menu and view a list of transactions associated with that budget, as well as details about the budget and its current balance. To easily export the budget report in .xls, .pdf, .csv, or .doc format, they can click the appropriate icon above the list of transactions. Please note that the user will only be able to view the budgets that are available for their use. A site user will not be able to view budget reports for budgets they cannot use for their own orders. **Note that in version 6 - users will be able to view all budgets for the site. See below - New Budget Features in Version 6.
An example of what a site user who is allowed to view budget reports would see in the Budgets page
New Budget Features in Version 6
Additional Site Group Permissions
In version 6 of Pressero, four new site group permissions (Sites > [site name] > Site Groups) related to budgets have been added. These permissions include:
- Can Manage All Budgets - This permission allows users to manage all budgets on the site - including creating new and editing existing budgets, it's type and target.
- Can Manage Accessible Budgets - This permission allows users to manage only budgets to which they have access. This means you can edit the budgets you have access to but you can't edit it's type or target (user, department, location, group). It also doesn't grant you access to create budgets.
- Can View All Budgets - This permission allows users to view all budgets on the site.
- Can View Accessible Budgets - This permission allows users to view only budgets to which they have access.
Updated Budgets page
In version 5, users could only be given permission to view the budgets that were available for their own use when placing orders. In version 6, the new permissions allow you to have site users who can view and/or manage any budget on the site - including budgets that would not be available to that user during the check out process. In the screenshot below you will see that this user can see and manage budgets that are assigned to other users. By clicking the triangle icon, the user can expand the budget to see a list of transactions associated with that particular budget.
Editing Budgets as a Site User
If the user clicks the pencil icon, the user will then be taken to a screen like the one in the screenshot below. From here the user can add transactions to the budget and/or edit the properties of the budget.
Adding a New Budget as a Site User
If the user clicks the "Add New Budget" button on the main Budgets page, the user will be directed to the create Budget page shown in the screenshot below. From here the user can set the properties of the new budget.
Editing a Budget
If you edit a budget to increase or decrease the allotted budget amount, the change will not take effect until the budget recurs. If you need to immediately increase or decrease (with a negative value) the budget amount, please add a transaction to the budget to give the user a temporary increase or reduction.
Delete Budgets from the storefront
In the site Settings area you will need to deactivate the checkbox for "Enable Budgets." If you already have your budgets set up in Admin > Site > Budgets, you do not need to delete or remove these as they will not be active without that box being checked. If you need to re-activate budgets on the site you may easily do that by re-checking this box.
Allow selected Site Groups to checkout without selecting a budget when budgets are enabled in the site
By default, when budgets are enabled on the site, all users needed to select a budget in order to checkout. You can set a permission in the Site Group that will allow users of that group to checkout without selecting a budget. The options are as follows:
If users have budgets available to them and the permission allows them to checkout without selecting a budget, the selection will not be required but will be available in the drop down menu as usual.
If the users have no budgets available to them and the permission allows them to checkout without selecting a budget, then there will be no prompt for a budget selection.
If no change is made to the current permissions all users of a site with budgets enabled will be required to select a budget as before.