Images, Mailing Lists, Documents and other files can be loaded into the storefront's asset management system and be made available for several different uses in the sites.
In this chapter:
Uses of Assets in Pressero
In a Site - It will appear for the assigned site. The assets will appear on the client site on the assets page. You will need a link to the assets page in the navigation of the site. In a B2B store, Assets is one of the standard menu items.
Part of a site Group - It will appear for the assigned groups. For example, if a group contains multiple users, it will appear for all of those users. The assets will appear on the client site on the assets page. You will need a link to the assets page in the navigation of the site. In a B2B site, Assets is one of the standard menu items.
eDocBuilder - The assets will appear as an option for image fields on eDocBuilder standard templates if the assets area is available to that user.
For a specific Site User - It will appear for the assigned user. The assets will appear on the client site on the assets page. You will need a link to the assets page in the navigation of the site. In a B2B site, Assets is one of the standard menu items. It will also appear as an option for image fields on eDocBuilder standard templates.
For a Product - It will appear for the assigned product on the product page if "Customer Can Download" is enabled in Sites > [select site] > Assets > [asset name]. It will also appear as an option for image fields on eDocBuilder standard templates. When the product is ordered, the asset will appear in the Files tab of the order in the Orders screen in Admin.
Include in Email Notifications - When Product is chosen you will have an option to include a link in the order confirmation email sent to the customer so they can download the asset. This option allows you to only give the customer the file after they pay for it and receive their confirmation email.
*TIP* If you do not plan to ship anything to the customer in this situation, you may want to remove all shipping and tax considerations for the order. There isn't a specific setting in product assets for this right now but you can use the "Digitally deliver eDoc file" option even though this is not an eDocBuilder product. Go to the Product > [Select Product] > General Tab > eDocBuilder section. Check "Digitally deliver eDoc File." When this option is chosen, any weight set for the pricing engines used will be eliminated, removing any integrated shipping options in the checkout process. If you make this selection you may also want to eliminate any tax for this product as well. In the same area of admin you will find this option under the "Checkout Options" section ("Override Tax").
Using Assets for Production File Version Control - If you are offering static "off-the-shelf" products in the stores you can use the Assets area to upload and attach one or more production files needed to produce the job. This can assure that Assets you, or a broker, or an outside vendor are using are the latest, correct version.
- You would normally not make the asset production file(s) available for download by a site user.
- The asset file(s) will be included in your Admin order area under the files tab. This will make it easy for your staff to have the most up-to-date version of the production file(s).
- If the order is assigned to an outside vendor, that vendor will also have access to the Asset file(s) through their vendor dashboard.
- If you give your customer permission to upload and edit Assets in their store, you can also let them update the production files so that you are always printing from the correct version supplied by them.
- If your product is using an eDocBuilder template, for example, for a book cover, with the body of the book being your Asset production file(s), the order you receive will include not only the cover from eDocBuilder, but also the Asset production files.
Adding a New Asset
Here are two ways to add an asset to a site/store.
1. Through the Pressero administrative area
To add a new asset through the Admin area, go to Admin > Sites > [Select Site] > Assets > List > and click the + Add New button.
Name - Enter a name for the asset.
Type - Choose the type of asset. When an asset file is uploaded into Pressero (client or here in the admin side), a prompt will display asking for the file type (document, image, etc.). The asset type is displayed on both the admin side and the client side Assets area, but it is just a name tag at the moment. There is no file type restriction when uploading. Uploaded Assets may also be used with eDocBuilder templates and in that situation the asset type will be used to filter the list of Assets so that only Assets tagged as images will be available for an image field, and only Assets tagged as Mailing Lists will be offered for the VDP database upload. Your choices are:
- Mailing List
Category - You may optionally assign this asset to a category that you have previously defined (in Assets > Categories). This is helpful when you have a large number of assets available to your customers. Categories must first be added to the list before they will appear here.
Allow User to Download - If this option is checked, site users will be able to download this asset on either the product page (when it is assigned to a product) or on an asset page you add to the site through the site navigation area of admin.
Description - Enter a description of the asset (optional).
Usage - Select the usage for the asset. Choices are:
- Site - anyone on the site can use the asset
- Group - the asset is limited to users in a specific group only
- Group (drop-down) - Set the visibility/usage of the asset for a specific group. Set up Groups in [Select Site] > User Management > Site Groups.
- User - the asset is limited to a specific user
- User (drop-down) - Set the visibility/usage of the asset for a specific user. Set up Users in [Select Site] > User Management > Site Users.
- Product - the asset is only available for a product
- Product (drop-down) - Set the visibility/usage of the asset for a specific product.
- Include in emails (check box) - Check this box to provide a link for your customer to download the asset in the confirmation email they receive.
- Count Pages (check box) - Check this box if you would like Pressero to count the number of pages in the document that is being added as an asset. This is used in some pricing scenarios where the number of pages in the asset can determine the cost of the product that is ordered.
Location - An asset can be external to this system via a URL ("URL to Asset") or you can upload the asset directly to the system ("Upload Asset").
Upload Asset - This field appears if "Upload Asset" is selected in the "Location" drop-down. Click "Browse" to choose a file on your computer to upload as an asset. The maximum file size is 1 GB.
External URL - This field appears if "URL to Asset" is selected in the "Location" drop-down. Enter the external URL of the asset. It should begin with "http://" or "https://".
Auto Generate Thumbnail - This field appears if "URL to Asset" is selected in the "Location of Asset" field. Check this box to auto-generate a thumbnail preview for the external asset.
Upload Asset Thumbnail - This field appears if "URL to Asset" is selected in the "Location of Asset" field and "Auto Generate Thumbnail" is unchecked. Click the Browse button to upload an image file to be used to represent the external asset. The system will generate a thumbnail preview for the external asset using the file uploaded here. Note: The file must be in raster format (.jpg, .png, .gif).
2. Through the site/store by your site user
Another way to add an asset to a site/store is through the site/store by your site user. Provided you add an "Assets" link to a Site's navigation menu, Site Users with the appropriate Site Group permissions can also be allowed to add and edit assets and asset categories.
The image below shows an "Assets" link that was added to the site navigation (menu 1). Because the user who is logged into this site has permission to manage assets, they are able to select this link and have the option to add and edit assets, and set it to be downloadable by users in the site.
When a Storefront User has permission to manage assets, they may also manage and create new Categories.
The Use of Assets in eDocBuilder
Assets can be assigned to a Site, Site User, Site Group, or Product for use with eDocBuilder templates (both standard and Interactive Designer templates). All image upload fields for templates where assets are available will display an image picker option for Assets assigned this way, in addition to the standard file upload options.
The image below shows the forms-based eDocBuilder with an image upload option available. Notice that the buyer is able to either upload their own image to the area on the template, or choose an asset that has been pre-loaded into the site. The next image below this one shows the way the images are displayed in an image picker area.
Adding / Editing Asset Categories
You can optionally assign an asset to a category you have defined. This can be helpful if you have a large number of assets available to your customer. If you have made the image assets available in a product's eDocBuilder template, the assets will be displayed by category.
To manage the asset categories, go to [Select Site] > Assets > Categories.
To add a new category, click "+ Add New". Name the category and give it a description, then click "Save." The category will now be an available choice when uploading and saving assets.
Knowledge Base Articles Related to Product Assets