To create a new form, select the "Create New Form" link.
The first step is to set the basic information about the form. After you do this, additional questions will display for the actual form field prompts.
Name - Give the form a name you will easily identify it with. The customer does not see this name, it will be in the drop down when you assign it to an area of your site. This is a required field.
Title - This is optional and will be shown as the header for the form.
Instructions - This is optional and will be shown right above your form prompts.
When you have completed those three prompts, Click the "Save Form" button.
Adding the form field prompts
You will now need to add the form field prompts. To do that, click the "Add New Form Field" button just below the basic form information entries.
The window will open to display the individual options you have for each of the prompts in your form. You will create each prompt individually.
Prompt - This is the label for the form prompt your customer will see. Example: Enter your Name.
Prompt Number - Enter the position you want to display this particular prompt. This is helpful if you decide to add another prompt after the form is completed. Even though you add a particular prompt at the very end, you can change the order in which it is displayed to the user.
Prompt Type - Choose what type of prompt you want to display. See image below for your choices.
- Radio Buttons. Enter a list with a minimum of two items in the Default Information area. Each item in the list must be on its own, separate line. Each item in the list will have a radio button ◎ displayed next to it. To allow a User to select “nothing”, start the list with “0”, “None”, or “Not Applicable”. The User chooses an item in the group by clicking its radio button ◉. Only one item can be selected.
- File Upload. The Default Information area should be left empty. Note: a Form's File Upload field can not be used when adding a Form to a Product or as a Checkout Form. Use the Product's Upload Field instead. See Sites > Products > General: Upload Fields. Total file transfer limit per upload session is 1 GB or 2 hours.
- Drop Down List. Also known as a “pick list”, or a “menu”. Enter a list with a minimum of two items in the Default Information area. Each item in the list must be on its own, separate line. For a list of numbers, start the list with zero “0”. Otherwise, start the list with “None” or “Not Applicable”. The User chooses an item in the list by selecting it. Only one item can be selected.
- Check Boxes. Enter one or more items in the Default Information area. Each item must be on its own, separate line. Each item will have a check box ☐ displayed next to it. The User chooses an item by clicking its check box ☑. More than one item can be selected (checked).
- Text Area. Used for allowing notes, lengthy messages, or descriptions to be entered by the User. The Default Information area should be left empty.
- Text Box. Used for collecting a name, address, short description, quantity, etc. from the User. The Default Information area should be left empty. This option has a maximum of 150 characters allowed.
- Small Text Box. Same as Text Box, but the displayed box length is shorter.
- Rich Text Box. Same as Text Box, but the User can format the text font size, color, style, alignment, and insert symbols.
- Calendar. Used to collect a date. The User can enter a date, or select it from a month-based Calendar. Use the Default Information to set a default date, measured in days from now. The user can over ride the default and select any date.
- Rating. Used to collect a star rating. The User can select from 1-5 stars ★ in half star increments. Use the Default Information to set a “suggested” star rating.
Column - Your choices are either 1 or 2 column forms. Please note that some skins do not have the room to display a 2 column form and in those cases, your form will display in 1 column. The example above shows a 2 column form. To use a 2 Column approach, number the fields left to right, setting the Prompt Number's sequentially starting with 1.
This is required. This is an optional check box. If one of your form field prompts is a required field, select this. Please note: if you enter default text into the prompts that require text entry that default text will satisfy the required information, so it is best to leave the default text off.
Default Information - Depending on the choice you made for the prompt type, the information entered in here will be different. For any of the prompts that give choices you will need to enter each of their choices in the box provided and put each one on a separate line.
Editing and Deleting Forms and Form Fields
- To edit the basic information about the form select the pencil icon.
- To edit the individual form field prompts, select the individual pencil icons beside each prompt row.
- To delete a form, select the arrow beside the form row and click on the "Delete" button.
- To delete an individual form prompt, click the garbage can at the end of the row. If editing the prompt, selected the pencil beside the individual prompt, click the "Delete" button.
- To undelete a form you previously deleted, click on the box at the very top-right of the page "Include Deleted Forms". Then click on the pencil icon beside the form and hit "Save Form". It will be active again.
- You can not undelete individual form field prompts once they have been deleted, only the form itself.
Reporting Capabilities with Forms
Information that a user provides in a form assigned to a product or to the check out area can be accessed in the Report Writer (Tools > Report Writer). There are Product and Checkout Form Field options in the Columns list of the Report Writer. Including these in your report will allow you to access the information your users provide in these forms.
Common Questions and Answers: