Later in the following chapters we will look at the Data Capture tab as it relates to the Field Type that you chose earlier (Text, Image, Barcode, etc.). There are other general prompts found in the Data Capture area that are discussed here.
Required (check box) - If the customer is required to complete the information prompted in this field you will check this box. Text entries such as "Second Address Line" you may not want to make required and will not check this box. The user cannot add the item to their shopping cart if this field is left empty.
Prompt Text - Serves as a field label. Enter the text that you want to prompt the customer to input, such as "Enter Your Name".
Max Length - Max Length limits the number of characters that the user may enter into the field. This is set at 50 characters by default.
Tool Tip - this is a message to provide the user with special instructions. Please note: In order to display properly in some browsers, certain characters should not be used in tool tips. If you need to use an apostrophe, type ' where the apostrophe should go instead.
Profile Field Type - is an optional setting that enables the eDocBuilder system to auto-fill the template's field with information—such as Name, Address, etc.— for a user logged in to an e-commerce system*. If one of these Profile Field Type options is selected, the eDocBuilder template will attempt to auto-fill the information from information available in the e-commerce system (Pressero or Other). If those sources are blank, it will then use any text you enter in the Data Capture tab > Default Value box instead.
*For Pressero, some auto-fill options are fed by the user's Profile, while others are fed by the storefront's ship-to Address Book (if available). A few auto-fill options will use the Address Book only if the user's Profile is blank for that field. Here are the fields fed by Pressero and where the data is located (the user's Profile or their Address Book):
- First Name (Profile)
- Last Name (Profile)
- Full Name (Profile) (Combination of First and Last in the User Profile)
- Job Title #1 (Profile)
- Company (Address Book) (Locations & Departments > Locations > Business Name)
- Department (Locations & Departments > Departments)
- Address 1 (Address Book)
- Address 2 (Address Book)
- Address 3 (Address Book)
- City (Address Book)
- State or Province(Address Book)
- Postal Code (Address Book)
- Email (Profile)
- Mobile Phone
- Cell Phone
- Business Phone (Profile 1st, if none then Address Book)
- Fax Phone (Profile Profile 1st, if none then Address Book)
In addition to being fully integrated into Pressero, eDocBuilder is also used with other e-commerce software products. As a result, the Profile Field Type menu contains a few extra fields not currently being used by Pressero:
- Middle Name
- Job Title #2
- Home Phone
- Sequence Count
Protected Field - Protected Field is a checkbox that allows the field to be marked as protected. There are two ways to use a protected field, with a Profile Field or without a Profile Field.
- Protected Field used in conjunction with Profile field. The user's information from the Profile Field will appear on the template, but the field will not appear in the left hand field list, nor will the user be able to edit the information.
- Protected Field used without Profile Field. The field cannot be edited or even seen by end users, but are intended for those situations where the printer must return and add additional information to a template that is not available until the order is finalized (or perhaps until it is paid for), for example calling card numbers. Not available in the Interactive Designer version of eDoc
The protected field will not support input from the response set.
Default Value - If you would like the template to show default information that will be changed once the customer completes the entry, enter it here. Having the default value show helps the customer to see how the template will look when complete and can help guide them. Be aware though that if this field is required, the default information is considered a value and would not stop them if they have not completed that area with new information.
Entry Block - Entry Blocks can be a very helpful tool that can group and organized fields that require similar input, or that need additional instruction. The Entry Block option is not available in the Interactive Designer version of eDoc.
The example in the image below shows fields combined into blocks indicating where they are located on the template. In this example the template is a postcard so the fields are organized with entry blocks labeled "Front" and "Back" Always consider your customer’s needs when applying this tool to your site.
To use this tool
- Click the Create Entry Block button to expand the window. Enter an entry block name that describes the group of fields within the block. (i.e. "Address Information")
- Click the check box for "Force New Line in Entry Block" if you do not want the prompt to immediately follow another prompt when it could otherwise be possible to fit two or more prompts side by side. (Note: For the current version of eDocBuilder forms all fields will show on their own line.)
- Enter block instructions if desired. This can be very helpful when you want to give the customer specific instructions for a group of prompts. Note: There is a 350 character limit for Entry Block Instructions.
- The entry block name may now be assigned to any fields that you choose by selecting the block name from the drop down for each of the fields you set up.