Radio button selectors are used under the Field Type tab. Additional field properties within the wizard will be conditional based on these two entries. A detailed explanation of the options are described below.
What type of field will this be?
- Image - Select "Image" for fields containing graphic files or PDF's.
- Text - Select "Text" for fields that will contain text.
- Barcode - Select "Barcode" for fields that will contain a barcode. There are many different barcodes that are recognized by eDocBuilder including QR Codes. This option is not available in the Interactive Designer version of eDocBuilder.
- Non-printable Area - Non printable areas – In eDocBuilder, you can specify an area to display on the template as a non-printable image. This image layer will not be selectable in the designer even though it will be viewable by the end user. For customers who want to display die-cut lines, instructions, etc., but not have them clickable, or print on the final production file, this will be a great option. While this option was added for the Interactive Designer version of eDocBuilder, it can still be an option for Forms Based templates as well.
Using this feature
- Set an area on your template for the Non-Printable area.
- Upload a Graphic File that will provide an appearance for the Non-Printable area. This will not appear on the final production file.
- Set your Field Type to " Nonprintable area" and "Graphic File".
- Set your Data Capture tab to the Graphic file you uploaded for this area.
Data for this field will come from
Based on the selection you made in the field type, different options will be available here for you to further define the field.
- User Entry - Available for Image, Text and Barcode field types. Use this option when the end user will determine the input for this field. It could be a drop down list they are selecting from, an image they are uploading, etc.
- Another Field - Available for all field types. This option replicates information from one field to another. Data is taken from another field. After selecting "Another Field," you will choose what field's information you would like to replicate by selecting it in the Data Capture tab. An example would be on a template where a person's name is used in multiple areas and you do not want the end user to have to complete the entry every time. Using this option will use the entry from the field in multiple areas. Each instance can use different format rules such as font style, size, etc. it is only the field entry that is replicated. Not available in the Interactive Designer version of eDoc.
- Graphic File - Available for Image and Nonprintable area field types. This option is used to display a fixed or unchanging image. Images used in the field will be selected in the "Data Capture" tab from the images you uploaded in the asset area.
- Static Text or Field Scripting - Available for Text and Barcode field types. This field displays fixed (non-variable) text, or may display the result of a scripted calculation (see field scripting in a later chapter). Fields that add some fixed text to the contents of another field also use this type. Not available in the Interactive Designer version of eDoc.
- Variable Data File - Available for Image, Text and Barcode field types. Use this option for fields that will be populated from a file containing multiple data records in CSV (comma separated) or spreadsheet format. Not available in the Interactive Designer version of eDoc
- Text Overflow - Available for Text field types only. This setting permits text to flow within this field to two or more fields in the same template. Not available in the Interactive Designer version of eDoc
Tip & Tricks
- Using the Non Printable Area Option
Q & A
- What type of barcodes are supported in eDocBuilder?