A kit is a group of products that can be ordered together at one time by your customer. A kit is setup like a product in the store with its own name, image, and description.
The Kit components
Before you create your kit, you will want to make sure that you set up the individual products that will be included in the kit. Under Admin > Sites > Products > General tab, you will see a drop down field labeled "Kit Role" to indicate if that product is a kit. (see image below).
Kit Role Options:
- This product is not a kit but maybe ordered separately or in a kit: This means the product can work in both ways as a separate/individual product or as part of a kit.
- This product is not a kit, but can only be ordered in a kit: This product will not be available as a product and will only be available to be part of a kit,
- This product is a kit: Item will be and act as a kit only.
Create your Kit Product
You will create a new Product that will be the kit. Go to Admin > Site > Products > Add New Product. Set up your product as usual, but make sure to select "This product is a kit" from the Kit Role drop down.
As soon as you make this selection, you will see a new tab in the product navigation called "Kitting", and new options will become available under the "Pricing" Tab.
Select the Pricing tab so that you can set up how the kit will be priced. Select between the two options under Set Kit Pricing Method.
Kit pricing can be controlled by a single pricing engine for the entire kit or by each individual kit component. In other words, there are two pricing strategies that can be used; one that sets the pricing for the kit based on a single pricing engine assigned to the kit as a whole and another one that sets the price for the kit based on the total of the specific pricing engines for each component within the kit.
Using a single product price for the entire kit
To use a single pricing engine for the kit, select "Use a single product engine to set price." Then follow the steps below to assign the pricing engine/site group pairs for the kit:
- Step 1 Site Group: Choose a site group for this product and pair it with a pricing engine. Members of a site group will see prices based on the paired pricing engine. Different site groups can have different pricing.
- Step 2 Pricing Engine: Choose a pricing engine to pair with the site group
- Step 3 Save Site Group and Pricing Engine Pair: Click this button and then save.
Using multiple pricing engines to determine the cost of the kit
To have the price for the kit be determined by the total of the pricing engines associated with each individual component, you will choose "Total pricing from each selected kit component." Once this selection is made, you will notice that the remaining contents of the page disappears. You will then need to go to the "Kitting" tab to set the pricing for each individual kit component. If you choose to set the pricing as a total price from each component and your kit components also function as standalone products, you can choose to use the pricing engine assigned to the product or assign new pricing to be used only within the kit/override the pricing set on the Pricing tab of the product that is the kit component. The override pricing engine will be assigned on the Kitting tab. Note - when using multiple pricing engines to determine the cost of the kit, the individual kit components cannot use a pricing calculator or spreadsheet pricing engine.
When This product is a kit is checked, a new tab called "Kitting" will appear. When unchecked the tab will disappear. The Open Frame, Inventory stock to use, and eDocBuilder sections on the General tab will also disappear.
Add Weight per Kit: The default will be set to 0. Use this to add additional shipping weight.
Kit Setup Fee: This fee will be added to the order item for this kit regardless of quantity selected.
Per Kit Fee: An additional charge added per each kit
Kit Prompt: Change the default prompt text that will appear on the product detail page by entering an alternative prompt here.
Minimum Kit Quantity: The minimum number of kits that can be ordered. The minimum for this field is one.
Maximum Kit Quantity: The maximum number of kits that can be ordered. Leaving this field blank will set the maximum to an unlimited number of kits. Keep in mind that inventory associated with kit components may limit the maximum number of kits that can be ordered.
Select Product: Select each kit component. Products that use eDocBuilder templates, file uploads, Spreadsheet or Price Calculator engines are not supported for Kitting and will not display in this list
Min/Maximum Quantities: These will show if "Total pricing from each selected kit component" is selected on the pricing tab. The Minimum defaults at one. However, if you set this to zero, the component will be optional. If the maximum is left blank the user will be allowed to order an unlimited amount of this component.
Override Pricing Engine: To override the pricing engine assigned to the product, select a new pricing engine here. Selecting a pricing engine here will apply this pricing engine to this component for all site users - regardless of their site group assignment(s). Leaving this set as "Default" will use the pricing engine/site group pairs set on the pricing tab of the product.
Instructions to Display: Text entered here will display above the component on the product detail page of the kit.
Once these fields are all filled out, click Add to Component List. Then save.
Kit products on your site will have a Kit Component box for selecting the details of that kit component.
- Kit Components will take on the Group Permissions of the kit product except when an override pricing engine is selected.
- Each component in the kit will draw upon inventory assigned to that component.
- Products that use eDocBuilder templates, file uploads, Spreadsheet or Price Calculator engines are not supported for Kitting
- Kit components will not be evaluated in approvals but the kit product can be.
- Kits have their own asset files. Components of a kit that deliver asset files when ordered on their own will not include the asset files when ordered as part of a kit.