This new Field Designer allows you to create new templates and edit existing templates interactively without having to use Adobe Acrobat or InDesign. The Field Designer is currently in development but already offers many features you will want to start using today. Each release we will be delivering more functionality to you until it is complete. We will also be updating this document so check back often to see what new features are available.
On 4-19-18 we had an update to the Field Designer. The following new items have been enabled in this release:
- Set image fields to upload from Assets only, Desktop only, or Both.
- You can now set a maximum length for text fields.
- We added the option to include character counters to text fields.
- We have now completed the Rules Panel for image and text fields.
Creating a Template From Scratch
One of the most exciting features rolled into this new feature is the ability to create a new template without creating form fields outside of Creator, or using InDesign to import your template fields. Simply create a new template as usual and when your template loads you will see a new tab in the Master PDF area labeled Create New. Specify how many pages are in your document along with the document size (see image below). Please note: You must commit the template after saving. Don’t forget to also add the fonts and images you need to create your template!
Getting Familiar with the Field Designer
After you select a template in Creator, or when you create a new template, you will continue to set up the various areas as usual (Template Info, Assets, etc.) with one new exception. With the intention of making it easier for you to create and edit your templates, we now have the Fied Designer as an alternative to the Field Setup tab. You will see this new tab labeled “Field Designer - Tech Preview.” Instead of waiting until it is completely finished, we have decided to release what we have so far so you can start to take advantage of what it has to offer. With each new eDocBuilder release you will see more options available to you in the Field Designer until everything can be accomplished that you can do in Field Setup.
How do you know what you still need to use the Field Setup tabs to do?
You have a few ways to make this easy for you:
- We’ve grayed out the items in the Field Designer that are not yet available.
- We will also present a popup window each time you access the Field Designer with information on what new items are ready to use.
- You can refer to this document to get familiar with how the Field Designer is set up and to see what items are ready to use.
- Below is a screenshot of the items in the main navigation area along with a description of each.
- File - Not currently enabled
- Undo - Erase the last change done to the template reverting it to the previous state.
- Redo - Redo reverts the effects of the undo action.
- Cut - Remove the selected field from its original position and keep it on the clipboard. Not currently enabled.
- Copy - Create a duplicate of the selected field and keeps it on the clipboard. Copied fields can be pasted on the same page, or on another page.
- Paste - Insert the cut or copied field from the clipboard onto the template. The name of the new field will be created by the system.
- Paste Formatting - After copying a field you can paste only the formatting of that field to a new field you have selected. Not currently enabled.
- Duplicate - Duplicates the field on the same page and allows you to name the new field during the process. Duplicated fields cannot be duplicated from one page onto another page. You must use Copy / Paste for this action.
- Delete - Delete the selected field from the template.
- Fullscreen - Select to remove the view of the Field Designer from within eDocBuilder Creator to a full-screen view. Select again to return to the default view.
- Snap to Fields - Snapping helps you align the various fields on your page with each other. With snap to fields on, you can drag one field next to another and have the fields align.
- Snap to Guides - Like Snap to Fields, if you enable Snap to Guides, your field will align with a guide you have added to the template view. To use you must enable “Show Guides” (below) and then manually drag guides out from the ruler. This is helpful when you need to align text and image fields, measure the distance between fields, etc.
- Snap to Grid - Like Snap to Fields, if you enable Snap to Grid, your field will align with the default grid added to the template view. To use you must enable “Show Grid” (below).
- Show Rulers - Select to see rulers on the top and the left side of the Field Designer workspace. The units that display in the ruler are dependant on the choice made in item 7 (see image above) “Definition of Units”.
- Show Guides - When enabled you will be able to drag guides from the rulers onto the template workspace. To remove guides, drag them back to the ruler.
- Show Grid - When enabled a grid of intersecting horizontal and vertical lines will appear above the fields on your workspace. Along with the option of snap to guides (above), the grid can help you align fields for placement.
- Show Bleed - If a bleed is specified in the Template Info area, you can use this option to either show or hide the bleed while customizing your template. The bleed specified in Template Info does not add space to your template, it only indicates where the bleed lines are based on your entry.
- Highlight all Fields - Enable this option if you would like to see the outline of all editable fields in your template. A yellow line will display around each field. This can be helpful when you have a template with a lot of text and images areas but you may not know exactly which are editable by your customer.
- Show Tooltips - While working in the Field Designer, you may notice while hovering over various icons, that a comment bubble appears with a description of what that icon does (see image). These are added to help you become familiar with the Field Designer. You can hide them by unchecking this option.
- New Image Field - Select to add a new image field to your template. When selected you will be prompted to enter a field name. The name must only contain letters (no numbers or special characters), not be a duplicate of a name assigned to another field in your template, and not contain spaces. You cannot currently edit the name of your fields so choose carefully.
- New Text Field - Select to add a new text field to your template. When selected you will be prompted to enter a field name. The name must only contain letters (no numbers or special characters), not be a duplicate of a name assigned to another field in your template, and not contain spaces. You cannot currently edit the name of your fields so choose carefully.
- Undo / Redo - Undo (left arrow) - Erase the last change done to the template reverting it to the previous state. Redo (right arrow) - Redo reverts the effects of the undo action.
- Fit / Zoom - Defines how the template is viewed in the workspace. Options are:
- Fit - View the entire template by fitting at the maximum size available based on the length and width of your template.
- Width - View the template by fitting at the maximum size available making sure to see the full width of the template.
- Height - View the template by fitting at the maximum size available making sure to see the full height of the template.
- Zoom - You can change how you view the template by reducing or increasing the zoom settings in various increments from 10% up to 600%.
- Default Unit - Outside of the Field Designer you have an option of changing the units of measure that Creator uses throughout (see item 7 in the image above). This selection also controls what the Field Designer uses for various selections such as the positioning of your fields on the template. Changing this area will not exit you from the Field Designer and any changes you make will be applied automatically. For the ruler view, refer to this list for what to expect:
|Unit of Measure
- Cancel - All changes made to your template will be canceled and the page refreshed. If you want to exit the Field Designer and not save any changes you made, select any option outside of the Designer (except for the Default Units option and the Support tab).
- Save & Publish - Select this option to save the changes you have made to the template and exit the Field Designer. This action will update and commit your template and the changes to the fields. If you are editing a live template, the changes you make will be applied to the template viewed by the customer. You will also see these changes applied to the settings in the Field Setup tabs.
The first option in the side navigation is for the fields on your template. The layout of this area is broken into the fields that are on each page. Refer to the numbers and descriptions below to get an understanding of the options you have here.
- Search - Search for Field Names. The search will look on all pages of your template and return the results broken out by page. Select the “x” to clear the search. After the search results are returned, you can select one of the fields and it will be selected on the template. Notice the selected field on the left is selected while the field name on the right is highlighted in purple. Notice you also can duplicate or delete this field when it is selected. Both of these options work the same as the options under Edit in the top navigation area.
- Filter - Use the filter option to filter on the type of field you are looking for. Options currently available are Text and Images.
- Sort - The sort option dictates how the fields are sorted on each page under the Fields section. By default, we sort Prompt Order alphabetically from A to Z. The ability to move your fields into Prompt Order is not yet available in the Field Designer and should be done in the Field Setup tab. Other options currently available are by Name and Field Type.
- Page Indicator - All pages will be listed and the fields on those pages will be listed below. You will have an easy reference to the page you are currently on by the purple line to the left of the page number name. As you move through your document and select images, the designer will open to that page and field for you.
- Image Icon - The camera icon represents the image fields.
- Text Icon - The text cursor placement icon represents text fields.
- Field Name - The Field name is listed beside the field icon.
- Proof and/or Production field Icon - Not currently enabled.
- Visible and/or Not Visible field Icon - Not currently enabled.
Field Setup Options
The following areas have various features enabled depending on the field type (image or text) and the type of designer you are creating (Form or Interactive).
- Type / Data Source
- Data Capture
The following do not currently have options enabled.
- Scripting (for Form-Based templates)